With Barcelona in Spain a mere two hours flight from the major London airports, a weekend break in the capital city of Catalonia means you can pack culture, fun and sun into a weekend - leaving work early on the Friday and being back at your desk first thing Monday morning.
So pack your passport, your toothbrush and your annual travel insurance (online providers such as BengoTravel offer award-winning products*), and off you go.
Here’s how to make the most of 48 hours in Barcelona.....
- Friday night – arrive at your hotel and head out for something to eat. Barcelona is a huge city covering around 39 square miles, so you may wish to stay local to your hotel or go to the main city centre and find a restaurant. From gastro pub Cera 23 (Carrer de la Cera, 23, El Raval) to food for seafood lovers at Passadís del Pep (Pla del Palau, 2, Barceloneta); or simply one of the many Tapas Bars across the city, you will find something to suit your tastebuds;
- Saturday morning – hit the beach! There are seven beaches along the 4.5km coastline, where the Mediterranean sea laps up on to golden sands. Most have little beachside cafes where you can get a glass of wine or beer and something tasty to eat. Swim or simply people watch;
- Saturday afternoon – go shopping and sightseeing! This City is so easy to get around by foot, metro or bus. And no trip to Barcelona would be complete without seeing Gaudi’s amazing Sagrada Familia. Even simply walking around the city centre you’ll see his iconic architecture everywhere. Then head down to Port Vell - a massive complex accessible by a pedestrianised swing bridge where you have got shops, a multiplex cinema, and Europe’s largest aquarium!
- Saturday night –why not try your luck at the Barcelona Casino in Barceloneta? Or enjoy a moonlight meal over-looking Port Olympic?
- Sunday morning – visit Barcelona Zoo and look at all creatures great and small (from lions to coypus, prairie dogs to horses) before having a bite to eat somewhere. Or take a stroll along the famous Las Ramblas where shops and restaurants jostle with market stalls and street entertainment!
- Sunday afternoon – you’ve just about got time for a quick swim, then, sadly, it’s time to get back to the airport.
Come tomorrow morning you’ll be back at work feeling refreshed and knowing you’ve had an amazing weekend!
*Which? multiple travel insurance Best Buy Awards 2013